Tuesday, November 6, 2012

DIY: TIN CAN ORGANIZER

I've got a few announcements today along with a DIY project to help get your office a little more organized. If you've been a reader around here for a while you know that I have been a twice monthly contributor on Design for Mankind on a column called MakeKind where I shared several projects. My commitment there has come to an end, which I hope will free up more time to share full projects here. I've been so grateful to Erin for taking a chance on me and allowing me to share my ideas with her audience.

I have some fun projects lined up to share here, but I have also taken on a large volunteer project at my church that is coming up in December. My husband and I are in charge of decorating for an event called Affordable Christmas that allows local (kc) families to purchase brand-new gifts at a reduced cost, empowering those families with the opportunity to provide a fun Christmas for their children in a dignified manner. 2012 marks the third year for this event and I am so excited to see it all come together. If you want to see more about what the event is, here's a link to a video on Vimeo.

And now for what you've probably come to visit for. A DIY project. Is anyone else craving some organization around the house before the holidays really kick in? That's where I'm at these days. Weeks ago this pencil holder on Anthropologie caught my attention and I wondered how I could make one for myself. Days later I found myself staring at the pantry, the stars aligned and I was inspired.

MATERIALS:
-4 cans of varying sizes
-2 colors of spray paint
-hot glue


Step 1: Paint two cans the same color. To achieve the best results, I advise spraying the cans with 3 even, light coats of paint, allowing the paint to dry between coats.


Step 2: Paint the two remaining cans the other chosen color of spray paint.


Step 3: Line the cans up as you want them, and place a small dot of glue on the top and another on the bottom of the can. Then glue that can to the can next to it and allow them to dry.



Step 4: Continue gluing the cans together until you are finished using all of the cans. Let dry, fill with your office essentials and consider yourself organized!




What would you fill your organizer with? What color would you paint yours? I don't usually choose blue, but these seemed right and I like the subtle contrast between colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment